Hudson River Salt Front Data
This information was made possible by funding from the U.S. Geological Survey Cooperative Water Program and National Streamflow Information Program and New York City Department of Environmental Protection, New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, New York State Department of Health, Hudson Valley Regional Council (representing Dutchess, Orange, Putnam, Rockland, Ulster, and Westchester Counties), the Hudson River-Black River Regulating District, and the City of Poughkeepsie, NY.
| Estuary Conditions |
Historical Events |
Project Description and Reports |
NOTICE (03/01/2012) -- Data collection has been discontinued at two Hudson River estuary monitoring sites (West Point and Piermont Pier) due to
funding reductions from partner agencies. Although historic data will remain accessible, no new data will be collected unless one or more new funding partners
For more information and the complete list of threatened sites see:real-time water data page or
map. Although historic data will remain accessible, no new data will be collected unless one or more
new funding partners are found. Fact Sheets describe maintenance costs and USGS streamgage
Users who are willing to contribute funding to continue operation of these streamgages should contact Rob Breault or Ward Freeman of the USGS New York Water Science
Center at (518-285-5658 or email@example.com).
- Salt-front location in the Hudson River for October 1, 1991 to March 1, 2012 (tab delimitted, scatter-plot jpg). Location, in river miles above The Battery, New York City, is a daily value for the most upstream location (at high slack tide) for the previous day. The salt front is defined as 100 mg/L chloride concentration; and measured in the field as a specific conductance of 510 microsiemens per centimeter at 25 degrees Celsius (see conversion chart).
- Gage at The Battery, New York City (NOAA/NOS/CO-OPS water level station):
- Gage below Poughkeepsie:
- Gage at Albany:
- Streamflow gages (15-minute discharge plots; default period 7 days; 120 days on-line) at:
- Great Sacandaga Lake at Conklingville, NY (Stn# 01323500):
To view and print the postscript (.ps) files from your browser, download, (free), the GSview utility.
- Summer 2002 Drought
- Summer 1995 Drought
- Hudson River Salt Front Delineations:
- Hudson River Specific Conductance and Tributary Inflow:
- Historical monthly freshwater flow data for Hudson River at:
Project description of USGS Hudson River Salt Front Study
Map of study area showing gage locations for USGS Hudson River Salt Front Study
Report titled "Salt-Front Movement in the Hudson River Estuary, New York--Simulations by One-Dimensional Flow and Solute-Transport Models" by
M. Peter de Vries and Lawrence A. Weiss
Conference paper titled "Flow and Chloride Transport in the Tidal Hudson River, NY" by
Lawrence A. Weiss, Raymond W. Schaffranek, and M. Peter de Vries
Conversion chart showing relation between specific conductance and chlorides in the lower
Hudson River (spcn2cl.gif 26k,
Bathymetry data from report "Cross Sections of the Hudson River Estuary from Troy to New York City, New York" by David A. Stedfast --
CGAP data file description,
CGAP data file for river mile 21 to 49 (Hastings-on-Hudson to West Point),
CGAP data file for river mile 51 to 153 (West Point to Troy).
Photograph of Hudson River looking north toward Bear Mtn. Bridge (located on
map at point where Putnam,
Rockland, and Westchester Counties meet) and West Point. In foreground is Doodletown Bight and
Salisbury Meadow; Iona Island is at right
IE browsers only-->Other photographs include commercial ship traffic, tidal wetland across from West Point, aerial view of Croton Point, salt-front monitoring gages, meteorologic, specific conductance and tide-stage measuring equipment, leveling in gages to a common datum,
acoustic Doppler current profiling equipment (ADCP) used for discharge measurements, and ADCP current profiles showing bi-directional flow in a Hudson River cross-section.
U.S. Department of the Interior, U.S. Geological Survey
Maintainer: New York District
Last update: 15:31:23 Monday 14 January 2013
Privacy Statement || Disclaimer